James W. Larson, III, M.D.
Fellowship: Sports Medicine and Arthroscopic Surgery, The Jack C. Hughston Clinic 2009-10
Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Department of Orthopedics 2003-2009
Medical School: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Medical Doctorate 1999-2003
Undergraduate: The Pennsylvania State University, Bachelor of Science 1995-1999
Hospital Committees and Appointments
- Chairman – Division of Orthopedic Surgery 2011-2013; 2015-2017
- Orthopedic Division Representative, Surgical Affairs Committee 2011-2013; 2015-2017
- Valley Health Sports Medicine Committee 2011-2015
- Medical Staff Leadership Committee – Secretary 2013-2014
- Winchester Medical Center Surgical Block Committee 2016-Present
- Valley Health Surgery Center – Management Committee 2017-Present
- Valley Health Surgery Center – Chairman, Block Time and Utilization Committee 2017-Present
- Shenandoah University - Department of Performing Arts Medical Director
- Shenandoah University - Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Shenandoah University – Medical Director for Department of Athletic Training
Surgical Specializations – Sports Injuries and Arthroscopic Surgery
- Dr. Larson holds a CrossFit Level 1 Coaching Certificat
- Shoulder Surgery: Rotator Cuff Repairs, Dislocation Treatment, Labrum Tear Repair, Total Shoulder Replacement, Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement, PRP Injections, and Stem Cell Augmentation
- Hip: Hip Arthroscopy, Femoro-Acetabular Impingement (FAI), Labral Tear Treatment, Trochanteric Bursa Treatment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpKF9D3mJug&t=299s)
- Knee: Meniscus Repair, Minimally Invasive ACL Reconstruction, Torn Meniscus Treatment, and Outpatient Knee Replacement
- Ankle: Mini-incision Achilles Repair
- Fractures: Treats fractures of the ankle, wrist, should, hip and more
- Hand: Minimally invasive Carpal Tunnel Surgery, and all other common hand problems
Sports Team Affiliations
- Blue Ridge Volleyball Association – Medical Director (Current)
- Top of Virginia Hockey Alliance – Medical Director
- Winchester Storm Basketball – Team Physician 2010-2015
Dr. Larson specializes in sports injuries and arthroscopy surgery. His goal is to get people healed quickly, through minimally invasive techniques. He wants to help you get back on the court or into the gym as quickly as possible. He holds a Level 1 CrossFit coaching certificate and lifts regularly. He runs a website dedicated to healthy weight training and fitness throughout the lifespan. Check out his articles over at Larson Sports and Orthopaedics. (https://larsonsportsortho.com/blog/)
Since joining Bone and Joint Specialists of Winchester, Dr. Larson has created quite an impression. In just a few short years he earned the respect of is peers and was elected to the position of Chairman of the Division of Orthopedic Surgery. He has also been the Medical Director for the Department of Athletic Training at Shenandoah University.
He has co-authored a study on cutting-edge meniscus repair techniques. He is also a consultant for Smith and Nephew, and helps to educate other orthopedic surgeons about new meniscal repair techniques.
He has been trained at two of the top programs in the country: The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and The Hughston Clinic in Columbus, GA. He has been trained by three of the most recent Presidents of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. During his training he helped to care for athletes from all walks of life; from weekend warriors to Olympians, the Pittsburgh Panthers. And the Pittsburgh Steelers.
His hobbies include weight training, fly fishing, and playing volleyball. He is an Eagle Scout and serves as an Assistant Scoutmaster for his sons ‘scout troops. His lovely and patient wife raises their three sons, coaches JV Volleyball at Handley High School, and helps to organize the Taste of the Town fundraiser for the Free Medical Clinic.
Some Articles You My Find Helpful:
How to Stop Elbow Pain While Lifting https://larsonsportsortho.com/elbow-pain-while-lifting/
4 Simple Tips to Stop Shoulder Pain During Bench Press https://larsonsportsortho.com/bench-press-shoulder-pain/
PRP: Can it Help You? https://larsonsportsortho.com/prp-can-it-help-you/
The Insider’s Guide to Meniscus Tear Treatment https://larsonsportsortho.com/meniscus-tear-treatment/